Thursday, July 7, 2011

06/25/11

1:00 am:
Soccer (aka Socrates) is old and has a problem walking…and a small bladder and cannot control his bowels so well.  He decided that he needed to go out and make a mess on the deck.  Oh gosh.  Well, at least he didn’t do that in the house!

4:00 am:
Soccer now has to relieve his bladder...

5:30 am:
Ebony has to go pee now.  (sigh) is this how moms feel??!!  I don’t wanna.  Nope.  No mama-ing fo’ me!  Imma tired!!!!!

7:30 am:
UP!  For real this time!  And I’m on the deck having my coffee staring out at the property wondering how I could stay here…when!  JACKRABBIT!!!!  AH!  It’s HUGE!!!  Have you seen a jackrabbit??!!  They are AMAZING and the dogs are going crazy ‘cause he’s all like, yea I’m gonna hop around in the middle of the yard and you’re going to get jealous!  HA!
I’m hanging out on the porch writing.  Melissa has to go clean out the cat house because she has 13 feral cats coming in, so I want to help too!  Tssssss.  Of course!  YAY!  Chores!  Work!  YAY!  And we get it all purdy and set up for the cats.  The woman dropping them off doesn’t want them to go outside because they may run off and die.  She’s named them all (every single one of them is black…and indistinguishable from one another).  She’s concerned for their genuine welfare.  They are FERAL!  Lady.  They lived in your garage.  Go away please.
And now…I don’t want to do it, but I have to.  If I stay another day (or 2 or 3) I will never leave.  Melissa is amazing.  The sanctuary is amazing and needs people who have skills.  It’s on a mountain away from everything.  Must.  Leave.  Before.  Too.  Late.  (hate)
Melissa has to go to town and take a dog to the vet (it looks like his shoulder is out of it’s socket and his leg is all swolled up), so I follow her to town.  We crush before we start driving and then we wave and say bye as we go in opposite directions and I DID NOT weep.  Nope.  I’ve only known Melissa for 2 days.  How can I become so attached so quickly?  Nope.  Just went and got a Vitamin Water and headed back to Fort Bragg all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.  I miss her.  And Ebony—she’s the dog I should have taken with me.  We bonded.  It was stupid of me not to adopt her…I hope she’s ok and gets a good home.  OH!  Maybe if Melissa moves back to Maine she’ll bring Ebony with her!!!!

Time unknown:
I need to drive through a TREE!  OK!  GO!  But first…I need a place to crash tonight, so I drive to this quaint lil’ motel off of the road that is beautifully landscaped and secluded and gorgeous.  I walk up and the owner answers the door.  Nope, sorry, no room available.  There’s some sort of festival happening in the next town over and all of his rooms are full.  He’s very apologetic about it and asks me where I’m headed.  I tell him North (ish) and to the tree that you can drive through.  Well, he hands me a map of all the different places I can stop within a 100 mile drive and tells me that the tree closes at sunset, so I can stop there on my way to Garberville.  Oh!  WOW!  Thank you!!!
So I do!  And it is aweshum!  I had to pull my driver side view mirror in just so I didn’t rip it off and I tried to record it, but I have too much stuff on my phone so the video is just me saying “We’re gonna drive through a treeeeeeeeee!!!”  Cut.
As I’m on my way to Garberville I turn off onto the road that will take me there and I see an old dude and lady (mid 40's) sitting on the other side of the road with a cardboard sign (S.F.). I pulled over. I know, I know, I'm not aposed to do that, but I wanted to since I didn't pull over for some kids that I saw hitching on the highway entrance in South Carolina! I rolled down my window and said "I don't have any room for you AND I'm going the opposite way, but do you need cigarettes or water?”
Yea. He got real excited!!! and ran over to my side of the road. He introduced himself as "Uncle John" and he is the Uncle to all the hippie kids in Garberville. If I see any of them and I need to have a good time, just tell them Uncle John sent me!
He offered me a buzz, bud, buck? I don't know what he said, but Imma gonna assume it was pot weeds. I declined and he asked me where I was headed. I told him Alaska and he just aboot fell down! Then he said where you from, hon? You look like you're from around here. Really? Do we wear mini skirts, clog boots, miller t-shirts and argyle socks up here??? huh. I'm from Maine. And he almost fell down AGAIN! "Well, love, I ain't never expected you to be going to Alaska. This is what karma is. I knew the vibes we were sending out would bring someone like you to us. What is it that you got inside you??? It's all sparkly and such and you're way too beautiful to be real." Yes. He actually said all sparkly and such and I wasn't even wearing any make-up.
Then he asked if he could hug me.  Of course you can hug me!!!  Why would I deny you that??!
I told him I needed to find a place to crash and he told me the hotels to stay in once I got to Garberville. Don't stay in the other ones...they're filled with crack heads.
I'm welcome back anytime to stay with them.
I got 2 more hugs while leaving.
I (hearts) Uncle John.

Time unknown:
Well, my first try was all booked.  See there’s some sort of motorcycle convention driving through, but they know of a motel that has a couple rooms left.  Thank goodness it was one of the motels that Uncle John told me I could stay in!  Phew!

7:30 pm:
Checked in!  Unloaded!  Bathroom window opens (no lock) onto their back area filled with lots of junk (bedframes, chairs, bits and pieces…).  The bathroom is painted lilac and it has a BRIGHT aqua toilet!  Wheeeeee!

8:00 pm:
Went to the family restaurant next door called Water Wheel Restaurant.  My waitress (Andrea) was the nicest thing in the world!  The dude sitting at the table next to me decided to secretly take a photo of me with his phone (‘cause Imma famous and stuffs!) and the guy behind me was adamant about ordering the largest bowl of soup they had; filled to the top.  All the way.  A HUGE bowl.  When Andrea brought it out for him, he was disappointed in the size of the bowl and voiced this very explicitly.  She told him that she would bring out a second bowl of soup when he was finished with that one.  “I guess that will be ok.” (sigh)

Time unknown:
Sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment